Friday, May 13, 2011

Mississinewa

Finally stopped raining long enough for me to take out my kayak for a couple days on the Mississinewa Reservoir.  Haven't done any rivers yet.....current's a little strong yet.

water is high...but coming down.  you can see the brownish water marks on the foliage in the background.  was about 4 ft higher. 


ramp was pretty flooded so i pretty much had the place to myself.  which is always nice. 


my first catch....took a lot of patience to get it.  i am a pretty restless fisher; don't have much patience at all...if my lure is not getting bites i'm pretty quick to change them around. Today i fished 4 hrs and not so much as a nibble.  Must have changed my lures about 10 times.  My line kept tangling and I had to cut some off about 3 times which was frustrating.  I bought some nice fluorocarbon line and it sucks.  anyways, right before i decided to pack it up, i used a rooster tail with a gold spinner, and caught several fish within 20 minutes.  water must've been too murky for the other things I was using.  its pretty exciting to catch fish in a kayak.  never done it before.  always on a bigger boat or standing on shore. 


black crappie i think?


so the day was a success, except for the fact that once again i underestimated the power of the sun and didn't put sunblock on.  very stupid of me.  i don't think about things like that until its too late and i'm already out there.  luckily mosquitos don't like me very much because there were a few out there. anyways, i got some good paddling in, nice smooth water with only 4-5 other boats that i saw...

found a little hidden car-top boat launch....i've got to find out how accessible it is from the road.  looks ideal.  the launch i currently use is going to get busier and even though its a no wake zone most of the boaters rush in and out of there...making it a rough for us little ones.  right after i caught my fish i started hearing thunder and had to kind of rush to get back in...i hadn't seen the clouds rolling in since i was under a lot of tree cover.  on the way home i caught some neat pictures of the storm.



a wall of rain.

1 comment: